Sunday, April 10, 2011
{10}
Switchfoot is one of my favorite bands out there. They've got some of the most real, honest, deep lyrics that I've heard. And their music is great.
I was listening to I Dare You To Move the other day and I was inspired to write about it. Because it's a really cool song :) Note that song analysis can really go a lot of different ways ~ something a like about how music & lyrics work together is that they can mean really different things to different people. So please just know that this is my interpretation of the song, and if you have different thoughts that's awesome & I'd love to hear them!
I really think the song is a call to get up off the floor. It's for those who've been knocked down... and the world's been so difficult and so painful and so trying that they're more comfortable knocked down and they don't see a reason to get back up. They'd rather wallow in their sadness stay away from the rest of the world than have to face everything again. It's a really easy place to fall into, and it's a really tough place to be. And when one is in that place, he starts thinking about his life from this outside critical viewpoint, and it's often seeing in really harsh light. And he begins regretting the past and losing hope for the future.
But the call is to get up off the floor. Just taking that first step of lifting your head. Because "maybe forgiveness is right where you fell". Maybe there's hope just around the next corner. You'll never know if you stay knocked down. Where ya gonna go, if you just stay there? Salvation is here. Not there. It's here.
So
I dare you to move ~
like today never happened,
like today never happened
before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment