Friday, May 15, 2009

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

~ Aldous Huxley (never heard of him before I found this quote ;o) )

I'm pretty picky about what music I listen to. I really don't like really pop-ish music with loud annoying drum beats, a lot of electronic-sounding instruments, and an a typical voice. Unfortunately, that's what a lot of popular music is these days. What I really love is acoustic instruments and really amazing vocals... usually women singers.

My favorite musician of all time is Kristin Schweain. She is formerly from ZOEgirl (that's a whole other blog entry ;o) ), but when they split up she released her own solo album. She's got a really unique, pretty voice and I looove the music that she writes for her songs. She used a lot of piano in her solo album, which I obviously like, if you know me. She also used strings a lot, which I really like, too. The whole sound with the really good composition, different instruments, and amazing voice plus awesome lyrics works really really well, which makes her my favorite =) You can check her out at kristinschweain.com... she's actually joining a new singing group, which I'm looking forward to hearing.

Some other musicians/singers/songwriters I really love are Meredith Andrews, mostly for her amazing vocals but also for her piano =) and lyrics; Ingrid Michaelson for her ukulele/acoustics in general, cute songs, and cool voice; Natalie Grant for her voice.

That's pretty much it for now... I have a feeling I'll be writing more about music in the future, though!

2 comments:

  1. Natalie Grant and Ingrid Michaelson are good. If you like Ingrid Michaelson then you should try Jack Johnson. His stuff is really pretty.
    A lot of guitar and ukulele. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like some of what you are talking about, Em.
    But I <3 ROCK. BWAHAHAHAA ;}
    But REAL rock. . .not heavy metal or computerized stuff. . :D
    teeheehee just felt like saying that. ;}

    ReplyDelete